6 Days Full Board to Feast on the Wonders of South Western France
Number of Painting Places Available 8 – 12 (maximum)
Price per Person (painter) £1580.00
Non Painter £1280.00
Single room supplement: £115.00
Charente Maritime is such a fantastic location for painting holidays as it offers a diverse range of scenery from the rolling Cognac hills bursting with grapevines, Cognac houses and Chateaux to quiet and pretty beaches and harbours, quaint historic villages like Brouage and of course the dramatic views of the wild and wonderful Atlantic coast.
At the end of a day’s painting you can relax in the lovely gardens of the cottages; take a dip in the swimming pool; sit in the delightful sunny gardens and catch up on your favourite book or explore the surrounding scenery and woodland areas nearby.
Groups are always small, with a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 12. We also cater for non-painting partners at a reduced rate.
This course suits both beginners and those with more experience who wish to explore and expand their drawing and painting techniques.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Collection from and journey back to La Rochelle Airport
- All travel during the Painting Holiday to local places of interest for our plein air painting such as Talmont-Sur-Gironde, Saintes, Port d’Envaux, Brouage, and Saint-Palais-sur-Mer. Read more about where we are situated here.
- 6 days painting tuition with our professional art teacher, David Johnson (DJ).
- Accommodation in one of eight cottages. (single supplement applies).
- Towels & Pool Towels.
- Full Board for 6 days (6 continental breakfasts, 6 packed picnic lunches, 6 dinners including wine and soft drinks).
- Onsite facilities include an outdoor swimming pool and bar.
- Services of our Tour Manager.
- Paint, brushes and canvases will be provided during the holiday, however you are welcome to bring your own brand paints and brushes.
- Tea/coffee and biscuits are provided in the cottages.
- Hire of:
- box easels
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Transfers in the UK.
- Flights to and from France.
- Transfers from any other airport apart from La Rochelle Airport (Bordeaux Airport £50 supplement)
- Personal Travel Insurance which is compulsory.
- After dinner coffee/tea.
There will be a selection of paints, brushes, canvases and sundries available to buy at the workshop.
Deposit £300 per person (plus any single room supplement). Balance payable 8 weeks before departure date.
A TYPICAL DAY
09.00 Breakfast at the cottages.
09.30 Departure to our painting location for the day in the tiny, picturesque, riverside village of Port D’Envaux. Spend the morning painting or sketching in the heart of the Saintonge, where you’ll find a mixture of architecture from stone country cottages with hidden gardens to a French Chateau. The cobbled streets close to the river are lined with grand, typical stone country houses and lead down to the tiny harbour. There is a shady square and courtyards that are ideal for painting.
13.30 Picnic packed lunch.
14.15 Resume our afternoon of plein air painting.
16.00 At the end of our afternoon’s painting, we will visit the nearby famous rock sculptures at Crazannes on the way back to our cottages.
A magical landscape of carved rock sculptures. (please bring flat shoes as the ground is uneven and steep in places) Carved into a site some 13 hectares in size, these ancient stone quarries proclaim a rich heritage, in both natural resources and human endeavour.The village of Crazannes took its name from the local stone, quarried since the first century by the Romans up until the 1950’s. This striking, strong white rock, extracted over a period of 2000 years has been used to build and restore famous monuments such as Fort Boyard and Cologne cathedral.
Return to our accommodation to relax before dinner
20.00 Dinner at a local restaurant with wine